A new job - a new life


Most of my earned income is generated from contract work I do over the internet. While it’s great to be able to do my own thing, it can be a lonely way of life. I don’t interact with anyone except via e-mail. Needless to say, I’m not in contact with many people in the course of a day.

Getting out and meeting new people is going to have to be a priority. Sitting around the house, working or not, is not going to do anything to help my situation. I need to get as much social exposure as I can. You never know who you are going to meet around the next corner.

However, even if I did get out and get a real job, I’d still be confined to the male dominated world of software programmers. I doubt that this kind of work environment will be conducive to increasing my social exposure.

That’s why I’m considering a drastic, although temporary, career change.

As it stands right now, my bills are minimal. Yes, I know it’s only because I’m living at home, however, I do appreciate that, and the fact that it allows me the freedom to experiment a little.

Even though I get paid very well for what I do, my current income would not be enough to fully support me because I only work about 20 hours a week. Why only 20 hours? Well, to be honest, I have only managed to get that much work coming in. Maybe, deep down, that’s all I’m aiming for because I love my free time.

Lately, however, I have thought about getting a full-time job in something totally unrelated to software programming - a job where I can meet new people and hopefully make new friends. Besides, I’m a little tired of the work I’m doing at the moment – I need a change.

Mingling with people at work is a double edged sword. It’s easy and convenient to make friends this way, however, should things take a turn for the worse, I’d still be obligated to maintain a professional relationship. This can be quite difficult, depending upon the situation. On the other hand, co-workers can provide a means to meet new people and potential friends whom are not work related.

I thought I might try something in the retail or hospitality sector. I realize that these jobs can be low-paying, but I also think I would enjoy meeting new people and taking a break from my self-imposed isolation.

What job will I be applying for exactly? Well, I’m open to just about anything at the moment.