Primal attraction

The results from the television experiment don’t surprise me. In fact, they don’t really even bother me that much. Why? Because, I have always known that humans are attracted to other good-looking humans. It’s hard-wired into us. It’s genetic.

I know that beating myself up because I’m not one of the beautiful people of the world, is a waste of time. I’m never going to change who I am, so why not make the best of it and improve the areas that I do have control over? Wishing I was someone else will not buy me anything.

The thing that surprised me, though, was the fact that good-looking people, in general, are treated better by the rest of society, without a second thought being given. And this goes much deeper than the obvious physical attraction between a man and a woman. I mean, I could handle the fact that a woman is not attracted to me, but if I were to be passed over for a promotion, or given lousy service based on my looks (the bar in this television show) – well that, I have a problem with.

Yet, I’m sure it goes on all around us – mostly low-key, yet still a reality. Hey, people may not even be aware of the fact that they are giving preferential treatment to someone based on some genetic, primal attraction – and, of course, giving lousy service to the poor shlubs of the world (me).

Oh well; as long as it’s not intentional – we know it’s hard to fight those primal urges.