Dating - dressing for success

In the dating world, nothing gives you a bigger bang for your buck, and does more for your image, than dressing smartly. You literally have seconds to make a good first impression - and while you may not be able to do much about your physical look, you can at least increase your desirability by making an effort in the clothes department.

Think your date won’t notice your mismatched wardrobe and scruffy shoes? Guess again. Though she might not notice on a conscious level, make no mistake, you are being evaluated.

Besides losing weight, my biggest breakthrough came when I stopped dressing like a bum and invested in some new clothes. I was also surprised at how economically this could be done.

Here are 5 ways I was able to improve my wardrobe:

1. Try to get a second opinion before you go ahead and purchase an item. Better yet, take along a female friend. In my case, I asked my sister-in-law to come with me. I was amazing how much we disagreed about what looked good and what didn’t. In the end, she convinced me to try new things that were a little out of my comfort zone. Looking back now, I’m glad she did because she really has a great sense of what looks good on a guy.

2. Look in the latest magazines (yes, even women’s magazines) to get an idea of what is in style. Also take note of what the mannequins are wearing in the top clothing stores. Take note of how colors are used.

3. Buy things on sale. Good quality, stylish clothing is expensive. I never paid full price for anything I bought, and I was still able to get most of what I wanted. You might have to wait for some items, but getting a quality piece of clothing for the same price as a department store knockoff makes good sense. Besides, the department store item will have a cheap look that will be noticeable.

4. Take care of your investment. Launder your good clothes according to the manufactures label. Sounds obvious, but I ruined some very nice shirts by not following the directions. Also, keep your best cloths separate from your daily stuff. Less wear and tear means more money in your pocket.

5. Dress for your age and body style. If you are middle-aged and a little overweight – accept that fact. Nothing looks worse than someone dressing to look younger. Wear comfortably fitting clothing that compliments your age and body type.

That’s about it. The only other thing I can add to this is that you should never wear your worst looking clothes in public. I’m talking about putting on that horribly wrinkled shirt or those track pants to pop to the store for groceries. You may not be heading out on a date, but sometimes opportunity knocks in the most unexpected way. Imagine meeting the woman of your dreams while dressed like you slept in your clothes – can you say embarrassing?

Wear clean, stylish, wrinkle-free, everyday clothes in situations like that, because you never know who’s around the next corner.