Dating sites and bars are out - now what?

I’ve come to the conclusion that success is very unlikely if I continue to pursue women in the traditional matter. There is simply too much competition, and I’m ill-equipped to handle the initial hump.

It’s funny how guys seem to all follow the same method of operation when it comes to meeting women. While bars and dating sites require a lot less work and originality, the chance of failure is also great – at least for a guy like me. The problem is that I can never get by the “first impression” stage where everything hinges on attractiveness and creating that initial spark. If I could somehow fast forward past this, I would have a chance to use my other talents – conversation skills, humor, and so forth.

So, the problem is obvious: get out of that high competition situation. That would require a little more original thought, but at least I wouldn’t be following all those other guys like lemmings jumping off a cliff. Yes, originality is where it’s at.

Now, the first thing I need to do is try and decrease the size of that initial hump. In high competition venues such as clubs and dating sites, everything hinges on that first impression. I mean, you don’t even get a chance to open your mouth before a decision is made. We’re talking about a huge hump here – and one that is pretty much insurmountable by mere mortals.

Forget the bars, clubs, dating sites, and dating services – they don’t work for me because I cannot get past the physical looks requirement. If you are reading this and are one of those guys that do function well in competitive situations, then more power to you. For guys like me, however, those venues couldn’t be more wrong.

What’s the solution? I wish I knew. One thing I can say for sure: It’s an area I’ll be concentrating on from here on out. I’ve been there and done that as far as the dating sites and bars go. To me, it’s one big waste of time and I could be using those resources in other ways.

In a nut-shell, my plan will be centered around new activities and trying to meet as many people as possible. It’s funny; I think women would be more receptive to me if there were no presumptions. Without the whole dating, relationship thing getting in the way, the hump seems to be small, or even non-existent – and that’s exactly what I need: to allow others to see the real me.

Yes, I know there is a danger of going down the “friend” road, from which there is no return, but I’m willing to take my chances – it’s not like I’m doing any better now.

One more thing: I’m not going to be operating under false pretences. The plan is not to lure and trick women into being friends, only to pull the old switcheroo later on. In fact, I believe that would be a little low.

My plan is to simply try and meet more people and widen my circle of friends and contacts - at least this way I’ll have an opportunity to work my charm (kidding).

Let’s face it: There is way too much pressure with that whole dating, attractiveness, and relationship thing going on. Sometimes an average guy doesn’t stand a chance.